segunda-feira, 26 de março de 2018

Tricky Pitfalls 33


Tricky Pitfalls 33

Num Estado democrático de Direito, todos estão sujeitos a uma bala perdida. O STF também.
161. “What’s the matter with you?” “The matter is I don’t have enough money to pay my rent this month.”
161. Correção: “What’s the matter with you?” “The problem is I don’t have enough money to pay my rent this month.” (Matter, no sentido de ‘problema’ só pode ser usado em perguntas ou sentenças negativas.)
162. Talking to him means to have to put up with a lot of nonsense.
162. Correção: Talking to him means having to put up with a lot of nonsense. (Mean + to-infinitive significa ‘pretender fazer algo’; mean + gerund significa ‘significar’, implicar’.)
163. Most young people I know go into medicine or law for the money, not for idealism.
163. Correção: Most of the young people I know go into medicine or law for the money, not for idealism. (Most + noun: sentido genérico; most of the: sentido restrito.)
164. I’m left-handed and all the computer mouses in the office were right-handed.
164. Correção: I’m left-handed and all the computer mice in the office were right-handed. (O plural de mouse é mice.)
165. Her parents decided to call her Georgina when she was born, but all her schoolmates would name her Gina.
165. Correção: Her parents decided to name her Georgina when she was born, but all her schoolmates would call her Gina. (To name: dar oficialmente um nome a alguém ou alguma coisa; to call: chamar alguém ou algo de maneira informal.)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário