domingo, 25 de março de 2018

Tricky Pitfalls 32


 Tricky Pitfalls 32
156. General Carter will arrive at 10.00 o’clock.
156. Correção: General Carter will arrive at 10.00 o’clock. (Não se usa o’clock depois de 10.00, 11.00 etc. Nestes casos, é melhor usar 10 a.m/p.m, 11 a.m/p.m etc.)

157. She would not give me a minute of peace until I agreed to change my jacket and put on the one she’d given me for my birthday.
157. Correção: She would not give me a minute's peace until I agreed to change my jacket and put on the one she’d given me for my birthday. (Expressões de tempo vêm normalmente com 's ou ' , como por exemplo two weeks’ leave ou last month’s weather.)

158. This is the only photo of my father. This is the only photo of my father’s.
158. Correção: Ambas as frases estão corretas! Na primeira, o pai aparece na foto, que foi tirada por alguém; na segunda, a foto pertencia ao pai e ele pode (ou não) figurar nela.

159. The sunrise on the sea reminded me of one of those paintings of Turner.
159. Correção: The sunrise on the sea reminded me of one of those paintings by Turner. (O autor de um livro, o compositor de uma peça musical ou o pintor de um quadro é sempre introduzido pela preposição by, como por exemplo a sonnet by Shakespeare ou a waltz by Johann Strauss II.)

160. “Can you believe it? The shop was still closed!”
“Really? You went there at ten o’clock and the shop wasn’t opened yet? Unbelievable!”
160. Correção: “Can you believe it? The shop was still closed!”
“Really? You went there at ten o’clock and the shop wasn’t open yet? Unbelievable!” (O antônimo do adjetivo closed é open e não opened. Opened é o passado ou o particípio passado do verbo to open.)


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário