domingo, 1 de abril de 2018

Easter Tricky Pitfalls 37


Hoje, Domingo de Pascoa, como um special treat para meus parcos leitores, todas as 5 sentenças fazem referência a Easter. So, Happy Easter to all of you.
Tricky Pitfalls 37
186. I overjoyed myself when I got your Easter card.
186. Correção: I was overjoyed when I got you Easter card. (Overjoyed é um adjetivo, significando ‘superfeliz’; não existe o verbo to overjoy oneself.)

187. At the age of 32, my son was finally living in an own house, which he bought one week before Easter.
187. Correção: At the age of 32, my son was finally living in his own house, which he bought one week before Easter. (Own é um adjetivo que deve sempre vir precedido de um possessivo: her own car, my own grandchildren etc.)

188. The boy felt very painful after the accident he had on Easter Sunday.
188. Correção: The boy felt a lot of pain after the accident he had on Easter Sunday. (Você sente pain; a “coisa”, seja ela o que for – uma experiência, um exame médico invasivo, uma picada de cobra etc.) é que é painful.)

189. I gave my nephew a new couple of sneakers for Easter.
189. Correção: I gave my nephew a new pair of sneakers for Easter. (Normalmente se diz a pair of trousers, a pair of sneakers, a pair of glasses, a pair of scissors, a pair of aces etc.; por outro lado, a couple of remarks, a nice couple dancing in the hall, a couple of weeks ago etc.)

190. The little girl would not part from her Easter bunny, although it was falling to pieces, or maybe because of that.
190. Correção: The little girl would not part with her Easter bunny, although it was falling to pieces, or maybe because of that. (Part with, não part from.)


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário