sábado, 29 de abril de 2017

A pound of flesh

Shakespeare no dia a dia da imprensa de língua inglesa


7. A pound of flesh
Tradução: Uma libra de carne
Significado: Uma exigência absurda
Fonte: The Merchant of Venice, Ato I, cena 3

Shylock: O father Abram, what these Christians are,
Whose own hard dealings teaches them suspect
The thoughts of others! Pray you, tell me this;
If he should break his day, what should I gain
By the exaction of the forfeiture?
A pound of man's flesh taken from a man
Is not so estimable, profitable neither,
As flesh of muttons, beefs, or goats. I say,
To buy his favour, I extend this friendship:
If he will take it, so; if not, adieu;
And, for my love, I pray you wrong me not.

Shylock:  Oh! pai Abraão, como são esses Cristãos,
Cujas condutas não apropriadas os ensinam a suspeitar
Das intenções dos outros! Por favor, diga-me isso:
Se ele não pagar no dia combinado, o que ganharei
Pela cobrança da multa?
Uma libra da carne humana
Não tem tanto preço, nem se pode aproveitar tanto
Quanto a carne de carneiro, de boi ou de cabra. Digo eu,
Para conquistar-lhe as boas graças é que lhe faço esta oferta
Se ele aceitar isso, tudo bem; se não, adeus:
Mas, em troca de meu afeto, não me faça mal, por favor.

Exemplo moderno: RBS fears EU will demand a 'pound of flesh' in return for state funds


The European Union will demand a "pound of flesh" as compensation for the billions of pounds of taxpayer funds pumped into Royal Bank of Scotland, the chief executive of the Edinburgh-based bank warned today. (The Guardian, 29 September 2009)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário